Wednesday, October 27, 2010

amour, amor, amore, something, something, something and fish eggs.

I want Amour Trilingue.

But that is beside the point.

I find it impossible to read theory without a pen. There are so many thoughts that come to mind and connections to be made. There are also words and themes that are quite difficult to comprehend at first read.

There are two theories that have intrigued me.

One: translation that separates language and culture.

Two: things that are not translatable.

My feeling is that language and culture cannot be separated. I also believe that there are some things that cannot be translated.

In Language and Words, there is a passage that represents the idea that language and culture cannot be separated. [This is an we didn’t have to read…yet?] “We will never grasp the spirit of the foreign language if we first translate each word into our tongue and then associated it with is conceptual affinity in the language—which does not always correspond to the concepts of the source language” (Theories-Schopenhauer, 33). There are just times when one has to think in the foreign language. And in order to do that, they must know a bit about the culture. I supposed I feel strongly about this because there are a lot of things in Japanese that cannot be translated. For instance, the word ‘えんりょう’literally translates to extreme politeness in English. But it’s a cultural thing as well. Someone who is ‘えんりょう‘ is someone who goes out of their way for other people, or often holds back their feelings in order to please other people. Often my Japanese friends will tell me えんりょうなくで。。。which means ‘don’t worry about being so extremely polite. However, even as I write this, I know that I am not fully explaining the idea behind enryou. It’s just something that I accept in the Japanese language and culturePerhaps someone can give me an instance where it is ok. But even with Spanish in America and the multiple cognates, it is impossible to completely learn the language without learning about the culture and being able to use it properly without knowing the culture.

We’ve also seen in many of our readings, such as Nabokov or Suh, that in order to understand translations of older pieces, one should know the historical background of the source text. Translating those pieces and then trying to understand them would be impossible without the cultural references and knowledge.

I think I am glad that culture and language cannot be separated in my mind. I feel that it would take away so much from the learner. However, I also see why learning a language is not as popular as I would think. One has to put in a lot of time and effort and has to, at times, let go of their home culture, which can be scary for people’s identities, and transfer their energy to another ‘culture’. Do they feel a sense of betrayal to the home culture? I’ve talked with Shiloh about having a different personality in different languages. I don’t mind it, but I can see why people would be uncomfortable with the idea or actual time in which they ‘switch cultures’. What do you all think?

As we’ve read “The answer to the question, “can one translate a poem?” is of course no” (Theories: Bonnefoy, 187). Poems are probably the number one thing that just cannot be translated. And I’m speaking separate from the theory that you needd the culture. Which I think might be contradicting myself. Because if I stand by my above argument, then nothing can ever be translated…..

Okay. Nothing can ever be accurately translated. But the definition of accurate is a fine line. The word love can be translated into any culture without culture backgr…..actually no. It holds weight in different languages/cultures, that cannot ‘accurately’ represent the word. Especially in English now, where ‘I love you, ya, u and luv u’ are all synonymous.

This is upsetting me.


So I will continue it later. But I want responses!!! what am I trying to get across......かなあああああ。

4 comments:

  1. I am curious. Coming from a different culture and first language, how can you understand the subtleties of this "extreme politeness?" Secondly, where are the fish eggs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Especially in English now, where ‘I love you, ya, u and luv u’ are all synonymous.


    I don't think they're all synonymous. I mean, it seems kind of strange to say "Love ya!" or "Luv u" or something like that to a parent, but it's okay to say that verbatim to a friend [where something with more "serious" [?] connotations like "I love you" wouldn't be accepted quite as calmly, or at least would be with an eyebrow raised].

    I see those as being similar to the traidora issues from last night—maybe it's just differently "translated" based on the context.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely have a different personality in Spanish than I do in English. The Spanish me isn't afraid to shrug her shoulders and say "no sé" when she can't find the words to express something, whereas that drives the English me crazy. The Spanish me is more accepting of uncertainty in general, hell, she's even got a whole verb tense (the subjunctive) dedicated to expressing just HOW uncertain something is! I think that has a lot to do with the culture as well, Latin American culture(which is the culture I associate with the Spanish language) is generally much more laidback and easy-going than our American culture, more willing to accept ambiguity as a part of their daily lives.

    On a COMPLETELY unrelated note: Do you ever have a voice in your head while you're reading? Well I do, and when I read "What do you all think?" it automatically switched "you all" to "y'all." Just ANOTHER cultural aspect I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know about different personalities and language but I'm totally with you on the culture aspect. With the risk of becoming an orientalist pig, it is important to learn about the culture in which a work was created. This is especially true for me and Russian literature. I am fascinated with the motif of the icon, something that appears in almost all Russian literature (splendidly in Chekov). If I had no prior knowledge about the significance of icons in Russian culture then I couldn't write critically about the way they are used in literature. (For more on icons: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_icons)

    ReplyDelete